The Cambridge Fundraising Committee has generously supported us since 1999. Throughout the year they run a whole host of interesting events to raise money for our Cambridge ‘Homes from Home’, Acorn House and Chestnut Houses. Read on to find out what they have planned this Summer.
To purchase tickets for an event listed below, please email the Cambridge Fundraising Committee or call 07760 232 087.
Tuesday 2 May: LUNCHEON ‘LONDON’S LOST DEPARTMENTAL STORES’
Tessa Boase, journalist and author, will give an illustrated talk about her latest book ‘London’s Lost Departmental Stores’, which includes such famous names as Dickens & Jones, Derry & Toms, Swan & Edgar and many more.
David Fletcher, antiques expert and auctioneer, will talk about his life and the interesting objects he has valued and sold, and how to buy and sell at auction. He will recount his time as an expert on BBC TV’s ANTIQUES PROGRAMME ‘FLOG IT’.
• 1st talk at 12.30hr followed by 2 course lunch, wine & coffee
• Gift stalls and coffee from 11.00hr. Tickets £40.00
• Madingley Hall, Cambridge CB23 8AQ
Thursday 18 May: ‘STARS AND SPIES’ THE HISTORY OF ESPIONAGE IN THEENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS
Prof. Christopher Andrew is Emeritus Professor of Modern Contemporary History in the University of Cambridge. He has written more than 20 books, including ‘The Authorised History of MI5’. He will give an illustrated talk about his latest book ‘Stars and Spies’which covers the period from Queen Elizabeth 1 to the present day.
• Wine 19.00hr. Talk 19.30hr. Tickets £15.00 (includes wine)
• Gog Magog Golf Club, Shelford Bottom, Cambridge CB22 3AB
Wednesday 14 June: SPY TOUR OF CAMBRIDGE
Sophie Smiley, Green Badge Guide, will lead a one and a half hour walking tour to many places associated with spies. Cambridge hasbeen an epicentre of spying and code breaking for hundreds of years.
• Meet at 13.45hr at the main gate of Pembroke College, Trumpington St, Cambridge CB2 1RF
• Tour starts at 14.00hr. Tickets £18 (Limited Places)
Wednesday 14 June: ‘TWO HANDS, TWO FEET AND A TONGUE’
John Bryden, Musician and church organist, will entertain us on the piano and organ with tales of his many years as ACE Cultural Tour Director, the places he has visited, and how music came to be his passion.
• Event starts at 19.30hr. Tickets £20 includes wine and canapés
• St Andrew’s Church, Mingle Lane, Stapleford CB22 5SY
Saturday 24 June: THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
The committee are delighted to announce that The Sick Children’s Trust has been chosen as the designated charity for the CCSOConcert. If you purchase your tickets from us, our Charity retains a percentage of the ticket price. The programme includes: Andrée Concert Overture, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, Dvorak Symphony 7 (Conductor Robert Hodge).
• The concert starts at 19.30hr. Tickets £20 (no concessions)
• West Road Concert Hall, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DP